This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
As a man, you have an inherent, biological property that makes you more attractive to those around you and allows you penetrate the world with confidence and charisma.
You may not believe you have such power flowing through your veins – especially if you’re down and out, hopelessly unmotivated, or failing to live up your potential. But, you do have it. In fact, all men do.
It’s your sexual energy.
Your sexual energy is part of your life force. And, believe it or not, when you learn to properly and effectively harness your sexual energy, you can use it to call in abundance, transform mediocrity into greatness, and create the life you’ve always wanted.
So, how do you harness your sexual energy? And, what does sexual energy have to do with productivity, creativity, and achieving greatness?
The answers lie in a process called sexual transmutation, generally defined as converting sexual energy into energy of another nature.
If you’re already immersed in the world of men’s self-improvement, then perhaps you’re already familiar with sexual transmutation.
Perhaps you’ve heard the term in passing, but never bothered to pay much attention.
Perhaps you’ve heard of similar and more popularized practices like NoFap and semen retention, and what they can do for our physical and emotional well-being.
Or, perhaps, this is all brand spanking new to you and you’re simultaneously scratching your balls and your head, wondering if this is all just one big cock-and-bull story.
No matter how deep your knowledge goes, keep reading.
This guide to sexual transmutation will help you get clear on what the process is, how you can apply it to your life, and the benefits you’ll reap as a result.
WHAT IS SEXUAL TRANSMUTATION?
Sexual transmutation is the process of converting your sexual energy into another kind of energy, typically for the purpose of creation.
The word “transmute” is literally defined as “the changing, or transferring of one element, or form of energy, into another.”
Essentially, sexual transmutation is re-directing your mind from thoughts of physical expression (sex) to thoughts of creative expression.
Or, put another way, sexual transmutation is putting your sexual energy to good use instead of dispersing it freely into a facial tissue.
If you can channel your drive for sex into your professional or creative endeavors, there’s no telling what you’ll achieve.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF SEXUAL TRANSMUTATION
In 1937, America’s most highly regarded motivational author, Napoleon Hill, published his classic, all-time best-selling formula for success, Think and Grow Rich.
To write the book, Hill studied and interviewed the 500 richest men of his time, including Andrew Carnegie, Henry Ford, and John D. Rockefeller. Hill wanted to find out if there were any common threads between these men.
Ultimately, Think and Grow Rich tries to explain why some people amass extraordinary wealth while others stay poor, struggling their whole lives just to make ends meet.
Since its publication, tens of millions of readers have used the principles in Think and Grow Rich as a guide for increasing motivation, setting goals, and achieving success. The book is divided into 13 steps, and according to Hill, if you follow these steps, you’ll think and become rich.
Strangely though, despite countless reviews on Think and Grow Rich and a variety of studies conducted since the book’s release, hardly anyone talks about Hill’s tenth step toward riches, which is detailed in Chapter 11: The Mystery of Sex Transmutation.
In this chapter, Hill writes:
The emotion of sex brings into being a state of mind.
Because of ignorance on the subject, this state of mind is generally associated with the physical, and because of improper influences, to which most people have been subjected, in acquiring knowledge of sex, things essentially physical have highly biased the mind.
The emotion of sex has back of it the possibility of three constructive potentialities, they are:–
- The perpetuation of mankind.
- The maintenance of health, (as a therapeutic agency, it has no equal).
- The transformation of mediocrity into genius through transmutation.
Sex transmutation is simple and easily explained. It means the switching of the mind from thoughts of physical expression, to thoughts of some other nature.
Sex desire is the most powerful of human desires.
Hill goes on to describe how he analyzed over 25,000 people and subsequently discovered that men who achieve great success rarely do so before the age of forty. The primary reason for this, he explains, is because younger men have a tendency to disperse their sexual energy through an over indulgence in the physical expression of sex.
“The majority of men never learn that the urge of sex has other possibilities, which far transcend in importance, that of mere physical expression,” writes Hill. “The majority of those who make this discovery, do so after having wasted many years at a period when the sex energy is at its height, prior to the age of forty-five to fifty. This usually is followed by noteworthy achievement.”
Considering the immeasurable popularity of Think and Grow Rich, one can’t help but wonder why far more people don’t talk about – let alone practice – sex transmutation.
One reason, perhaps, is that Western culture has a notoriously rocky relationship with sex. Despite the fact that sex is everywhere (television commercials, movies, music, magazines, billboards, social media), it’s still considered a taboo subject. Sex sells. And, yet, we’re often told that we shouldn’t talk about it, have it, or enjoy it.
Additionally, sexual transmutation isn’t exactly easy, as it requires one to refrain from orgasm. Those who aren’t familiar with the practice (and its potential benefits) can’t imagine why anyone would want to refrain from orgasm – because, as we all know, an orgasm is the height of human pleasure.
As Hill points out, sex desire is, in fact, the most powerful of all human desires. But, it’s important to note that our creative and sexual energies are deeply intertwined.
When you feel your sexual energy building, you can tune into it and transmute it into your life.
SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WHO PRACTICE SEX TRANSMUTATION
In Think and Grow Rich, Hill lists a number of highly successful people who practiced sex transmutation, including:
- Abraham Lincoln
- Napoleon Bonaparte
- Thomas Jefferson
- William Shakespeare
- George Washington
- Woodrow Wilson
- Oscar Wilde
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Andrew Jackson
While these men are undoubtedly successful, they all lived and died well over a hundred years ago. So, what about men in the modern era?
In her book, The Bite in the Apple: A Memoir of My Life with Steve Jobs, Chrisann Brennan wrote, “Our birth control method up to that point was Steve’s coitus interruptus, also called the pull-out method, which for him was about his conserving his energy for work.”
Brennan also shared that Jobs didn’t want to orgasm because he wanted to build “power and wealth by conserving one’s vital energies.”
World heavyweight boxing champion, David Haye, has said: “I don’t ejaculate for six weeks before the fight. No sex, no masturbation, no nothing. It releases too much tension. It releases a lot of minerals and nutrients that your body needs, and it releases them cheaply. Releasing weakens the knees and your legs. Find a lion that hasn’t had some food for a while, and you’ve got a dangerous cat.”
Muhammed Ali also said that he wouldn’t ejaculate for six weeks before a fight because it made him unbeatable.
Even Mike Tyson said: “I never knew that conquering so many women takes so much from you more than adds so much to you. I always read that the great fighters never had sex before fights and I was a young kid and I wanted to be the youngest heavyweight champion in the world, so I restrained myself from sex for around five years.”
Many other successful men – from Jim Carrey to Kanye West – have also openly discussed the benefits of sex transmutation.
As Hill wrote in Think and Grow Rich, “When driven by [sexual] desire, men develop keenness of imagination, courage, will-power, persistence, and creative ability unknown to them at other times.”
The desire for sexual expression is by far the strongest and most impelling of all the human emotions, and for this very reason this desire, when harnessed and transmuted into action, other than that of physical expression, may raise one to the status of a genius. – Napoleon Hill
BENEFITS OF SEXUAL TRANSMUTATION
Should you decide to retain your semen and practice sexual transmutation, make no mistake: it can be difficult – particularly if you masturbate excessively. Sexual transmutation isn’t just a change in habit; it’s a change in lifestyle.
Implement it with diligence, however, and you’ll begin to see a host of benefits, which are not limited to:
Every time you ejaculate, your brain receives a powerful – and instant – shot of dopamine. This is why many men become addicted to porn and masturbation. Like any drug, porn provides a quick, easy hit. And, after a short time, the brain wants more.
Countless studies have shown that frequent porn use and excessive masturbation lead to a variety of problems, including sexual dysfunction, relationship discord, isolation and depression, and decreased confidence. Excessive masturbation wreaks havoc on your dopamine receptors; and low dopamine levels diminish willpower, motivation, and self-confidence.
Perhaps the most scientifically validated result to practicing semen retention and sexual transmutation is an increase in testosterone. In 2003, for example, Chinese researchers conducted a study that measured the influence of ejaculation frequency on testosterone levels. The researchers found that men who abstained from masturbation for seven days experienced a 145.7% increase in testosterone.
More testosterone might also explain a number of ancillary benefits to practicing sexual transmutation, including a deeper voice, increased strength, and more courage, as well as appearing more attractive to women.
Remember, your semen is part of your life force energy. Consider how you might be showing up in the world if you habitually deposit your semen into a moist towel.
INCREASED ENERGY AND FOCUS
It bears repeating that your semen is your life force energy. Each time you ejaculate, your are ridding your body of this energy. But, when you retain your semen, you are allowing this energy to build up. After several days of abstaining from ejaculation, there’s a good chance you’ll have so much goddamn energy that you won’t know what to do with yourself. This is not a bad problem.
Using sexual transmutation, you can redirect this new-found energy into other endeavors, like tackling that unfinished project in the garage or starting that business you’ve always dreamed of.
Ask any man who practices sex transmutation, and he’ll likely report clearer thinking, a greater sense of purpose, and a much stronger drive to achieve his goals.
Rarely does a man masturbate vigorously to porn and think, Boy, I’m really glad I did that.
Excessive masturbation creates a negative feedback loop in the brain, often defined by feelings of shame, guilt, remorse, and sadness. Furthermore, it can negatively affect your relationships, your sex drive, and your social confidence, as well as many other parts of your life. It’s no wonder that frequent porn use and masturbation are closely linked to depression in males of all ages.
Because practicing semen retention and sexual transmutation can lead to increased energy and higher testosterone levels, you’ll naturally feel happier. Optimal testosterone levels, in fact, are associated with mental health and well-being. One Harvard study, for example, found that patients who didn’t respond to conventional anti-depressants had notably low levels of testosterone. When given testosterone supplements, the patients reacted positively.
IMPROVED PHYSICAL HEALTH
Sexual transmutation has been shown to improve vitality and overall health.
Consider this: Your semen has over 200 different vitamins, minerals, proteins, and amino acids. It’s chock full of nutrients that contribute to your mental and physical well-being. Frequent ejaculation only depletes your body of these nutrients.
When practicing sex transmutation, you’ll absorb these nutrients back into your system, ultimately supporting of your mind and body.
OTHER BENEFITS TO CONSIDER
Here are some other benefits to consider if you’re thinking about practicing sex transmutation.
- Increased sexual stamina: You’ll learn to control your orgasm, allowing you to have sex for longer periods of time.
- Improved self-control and body awareness: You’ll learn to orgasm without ejaculation.
- The potential for multiple orgasms: When you master how to orgasm without ejaculation, you can enjoy multiple non-ejaculatory orgasms.
- A stronger, more radiant life force energy: There’s an inherent spiritual component to sex transmutation. Try it, and pay attention to the way others pick up on your energy.
SO, I CAN HAVE SEX?
When men first learn of sexual transmutation, they often jump to the immediate conclusion that they won’t be able to have sex. Thankfully, this isn’t the case. For single men, there are some amazing benefits to taking a moratorium from sex, dating, and relationships, while learning to practice transmutation on your own. But, if you’re in a relationship or you have a regular sexual partner (or partners), having sex is highly encouraged.
Sexual transmutation requires one to refrain from having an orgasm, not from having sex. Sex, in fact, provides an amazing way to tap into your creative energy.
You’ve likely heard of Tantric Sex, a slow and meditative form of sex during which the goal is not orgasm but enjoying the journey and the sensations in your body. Much like sex transmutation, Tantric Sex aims to redirect sexual energy throughout the body.
Explore sexual transmutation and Tantra with your partner. Practice together. Let go of expectation. You’ll increase the intimacy between you, while creating a mind-body connection that can lead to multiple – and powerful – full-body non-ejaculatory orgasms.
TRY THESE TECHNIQUES DURING SEX
- Vinyasa Flow Breath: Vinyasa is a common style of yoga practiced in the West. The Vinyasa flow breath is an elongated form of breathing. Inhalation expands the belly and ribs, and exhalation contracts the abdomen and torso. During sex, elongate and slow your breath, particularly if you’re approaching orgasm. Count to at least 4 as you inhale and to at least 4 as you exhale. This type of breathing helps redistribute sexual energy back through your body. With practice, you’ll learn to breathe past your orgasm, leading to full-body pleasure.
- Flex your PC Muscles: Undoubtedly, this takes practice. But, one of the ways you can control your ejaculatory response is by manipulating your PC muscles. Your PC muscles – also known as your pelvic floor muscles – support your bladder and rectum and help control your urine flow. When you pee, practice starting and stopping the flow of urine by squeezing your PC muscles. You can squeeze these same muscles when you think you’re about to ejaculate.
- Edging: Edging is the practice of coming right to the edge of orgasm, stopping stimulation, waiting, and then starting again. Practice slowing down during masturbation or sex so you can become more aware of how it feels right before you ejaculate. A good rule of thumb is to stop stimulation just as you’re about to ejaculate and wait 30 seconds before your start stimulation again. The Vinyasa flow breath mentioned above can help with this process. Once you master edging, you’ll find that you can have the experience of an orgasm without ejaculating.
HOW TO PRACTICE SEXUAL TRANSMUTATION
There are a variety of resources on sexual transmutation and a variety of ways to implement it into your life. Generally speaking though, you can begin to transmute your sexual energy in a few simple steps.
- Embrace your sexuality. If you have any shame or insecurity around sex, you’ll want to tackle this first. Sexual transmutation is not for those who are ashamed of their sexuality. Remember: Humans are sexual beings. Sex is natural. Men want it. Women want it. Learn to embrace your sexuality and develop a healthy relationship with sex. Work with a therapist or coach if you feel you need to. If you’re in a relationship or otherwise sexually active, talk to your partner (or partners) about your issues around sex.
- Become attuned to your sexual energy. Before you can transmute your sexual energy, you need to be able to recognize when it’s building up inside you. For many men, this comes easy (raging boners are a pretty clear sign). But, for others – particularly those who have sexual shame – becoming aroused can be a bit more challenging. Don’t reject your sexual energy. If you’re struggling with this, re-visit step number 1. Do you have sexual shame? Any past traumas? False beliefs around sex? Again, it’s vital that you get comfortable with your sexuality.
- Define your goals. Remember: The point of sexual transmutation is to channel your sex drive into your professional or creative endeavors. As such, you’ll want to get clear on your goals. What do you hope to accomplish? Are there projects you’ve been putting off? Do you have big dreams, like writing a book or starting a business? Write down your goals and keep them handy.
- Use a visualization exercise. A short visualization exercise will help you move your sexual energy into your work.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES ON SEXUAL TRANSMUTATION
Here are some of the best additional resources on sex transmutation, sexual energy, tantric sex, and related topics:
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- The Multi-Orgasmic Man: Sexual Secrets Every Man Should Know by Mantak Chia and Douglas Abrams
- The Multi-Orgasmic Couple: Sexual Secrets Every Couple Should Know by Mantak Chia, Maneewan Chia and Douglas Abrams
- The Heart of Tantric Sex: A Unique Guide to Love and Sexual Fulfillment by Diana Richardson
- Taoist Secrets of Love: Cultivating Male Sexual Energy by Mantak Chia and Michael Winn
Tony Endelman is an author, blogger, entrepreneur, certified transformational life coach, certified No More Mr. Nice Guy Coach and the founder of The Integrated Man Cave.